Show Me What You're Workin With!

I firmly believe that its the photographer, not the camera, that makes a good photograph. I have seen some truly amazing photographs produced from the jankiest disposable camera. I've also seen some incredibly crappy pictures come out of the nicest most expensive cameras. That being said, I am absolutely not a camera snob. Speaking with other photographers is sometimes torture for me. I don't care that you have a Leica S2 Digital SLR, let me see your photographs. Every camera has its place and it is up to the photographer to decide what camera is necessary to produce the desired image.


10/8/09 Canon w/ lenses

For the purposes of this blog, I will mostly be using my Canon Xsi and one of the two lenses that I own for it. This is my newest camera and I have really enjoyed using it. Its great for my purposes which include taking professional portraits, producing fine art prints and even a little snapshot action.


10/8/09 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3

Then there's my powerful little point and shoot. I love this camera SO much. #1 thing I love about it: 10x optical zoom. Such a dream and hard to find in a small point and shoot. I also love that I can set it to "no replay" which makes it possible to shoot multiple shots without a delay. This camera is a little chunkier than many that are on the market right now but it is perfect for me to keep in my purse because you never know when the perfect photo-op will come along. My advice for anyone in the market for a point and shoot:
  • don't worry about megapixels: anything above 3 will produce lovely 8x10 prints
  • digital zoom is a racket: it is basically cropping and enlarging the frame
  • optical zoom is the way to go: this is actually using the lenses to zoom in
  • know what is most important to you in a digital point and shoot then do your research

10/8/09 Spartus Full-Vue

This is currently the only film camera I own. I borrowed my Dad's Canon AE-1, 35mm for my first few photography classes. I took it out to Rhode Island with me, packed it in a box to ship home when I left and I'm still waiting for that box to show up. It really saddens me that we don't have that camera anymore. It wasn't very fancy, and you can find one on eBay for around $20 but it definitely had sentimental value. I found this Spartus Full-Vue on eBay for $5 (with shipping) and it came with another similar camera. A fantastic deal since it produces georgous pictures. It takes 120 and 220 film and generates large 6x6cm square negatives. The view-finder is a trip to use since you have to hold it at waist level and look down into it. I have gotten tons of comments when going out on the street to shoot with this camera. It has two shutter settings: automatic and bulb and it leaks some light so I can't leave film in it for long periods of time. But thats all part of its charm.


10/8/09 MacBook & CS4

Finally, my post-production tools. I have a basic 13-inch MacBook that I upgraded to 4GB of RAM so I can run may programs at once without it stalling or freezing. When I purchased a new computer after the last one got vandalized in the mail (USPS and I have some issues), I decided to get a Mac because they are the professional standard within the art world. The switch from PC to Mac was a bit trying but now I see the beauty and I will recommend a Mac to almost everyone. I do all of my photo editing using CS4 Adobe Bridge and Photoshop. My Design Standard version of CS4 also came with InDesign, Illustrator and Acrobat.


Links:
Polanoid
Stranger Photos Have Happened
B&H Photo


No comments: