Rex

Rex Wall 10/7/09

I really love working at the Rex. Many of my co-workers complain that it is the most boring job in the world. I can understand where they're coming from because we are stuck behind the front desk and there is never get a good wifi signal. But they've never worked at 'ol Donovan Dining Center. I challenge them to scrub out a 10 gallon pot from yesterday's chili night while sporting the required hair net and then tell me how terrible it is to work at the Rex.

One of my favorite things about working at the Rex is the satellite radio. Here in Alamosa we have about seven stations that break down like so: three country, two spanish and two mix. I can guarantee that none of those stations are playing Britney Spears' new single 3. But when I'm working at the Rex, I can catch up on all the latest hits by tuning into "Top 20 on 20". If I'm in an alternative, Zach Braff kind of mood, channel 47's Alt Nation has just what I want. Ok, those are the only two stations I regularly tune in to but its nice to know that channel 7 has all the 70's hits I could ask for and if I want to escape to Margaritaville, channel 55 is a "Buffet buffet."

Reading is another thing that keeps my boredom at bay during the slow hours of the morning. I've always enjoyed reading but I never really considered myself a bookworm. At home, turning on the t.v. during down time is a reflex. Picking up a book, is not. I decided that I would utilize the long interludes between swiping cards to read some books. I've read 20 books in the last year. Now when someone asks what my favorite books are, I can proudly name off more than one.

Working the front desk is mind numbing and, lets face it, a trained monkey could do my job. But I do my best to make the most of it and I just thank GOD that I don't have to wear a hair net.


Links:
What Should I Read Next?
Donovan Dining Center



No comments: