Rooftop Textures

Alamosa is a far cry from Manhattan but with the right gust of wind from Thai House next door and the ambient noise of sirens screaming outside my window, my downtown apartment has a slight resemblance to the Big Apple. I especially love the rooftop access from our avocado green applianced kitchen. It isn't anything special. No deck with safety railing and definitely no classy patio furniture or fire pit. With all the soft spots, navigating across the roof to drop the trash into the dumpster below is like walking upon a newborn baby's head. Nonetheless, the roof was a major selling-point when I decided to move in. I love plopping down in my folding camp chair with a cigar, a rum-spiked beverage and just watching the traffic below.

10/9/09 Roof Tar

Texture is one of my favorite things to photograph. Smooth, rough, repeating, inconsistent, I love them all.

10/9/09 Dented Texture

Texture is what gives objects character, makes them interesting to look at. I'm not so much interested in the actual object but, instead, its textures.

10/9/09 Rooftop Pipes

I want to make the viewer aware of texture and I want them to think about the textures they see every day but overlook. I have an appreciation for the simple beauty in life and I wish to share it with others through my photographs.

10/9/09 Rooftop

The day I move to New York City is not close at hand. Until then I will just have to close my eyes and imagine that that honking horn is a yellow taxi cab and not a Dodge Stratus.

Links:
Paul Strand
Family Dinner

2 comments:

Eric L said...

After seeing parts of your roof in the pics of your equipment (that's what she said) I was going to request that you eventually post a pic of your roof top. I find it funny comparing how it looked in my mind and what it actually looked like. I pictured something smaller with adobe stuccoed walls. But it looks so much more fun how it really is.
Keep snapping, as I look forward to your blog most of all each day.

Anonymous said...

My vision of your rooftop was also different than the reality, but the reality is so much better. Hopefully one day I will be able to enjoy a cigar out there with you in person. - Rach