State & Main

Alamosa Bedroom 10/10/09

My photography often serves as a reminder. One of my most precious possessions is my memory and I try my best to preserve it. I think back on my childhood and wish that I had more pictures and more journal entries to clear up the foggy images in my head.

Earrings & Bracelets 10/10/09

Photographing my room and its various contents began in Rhode Island. I took pictures of my dorm room for my photography class. My goal was to investigate just how I made that tiny space a "home" for the school year. It wasn't so much about the individual items I chose to bring with me, but how I incorporated my past into my present. I displayed my favorite photographs of my family, but I also put up new pictures of my new friends. I hung my necklaces on the wall as usual, but this time on a hook my Dad rigged for me when he helped me move. And although I bought a new comforter and pillow, my blankie was still the most important part of my bed.

Candles 10/10/09

Photographing my bedroom isn't about documenting the stuff I keep there. Its about capturing a setting. I can look back at the photographs of my bedroom on State & Main (above the coffee shop) and remember my last two years of school. My mind will be jogged with the memory of the ups and downs, the excitement and fear and even that stupid boy I liked.


No comments: